It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
Welcome to projectrevolver

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How about a contingency plan?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:11 pm 
Nameless

I was browsing through the random chat battles thread yesterday night and lamented the lack of activity as of late.
Which brought up a thought I've had many a time concerning us as friends, and as a community.

"What if created and hosted an IRC server for us to hang out in?"

I've kept this thought to myself for a long time now, coming on 2 years, but I believe this is a good time to bring up the idea when we are still somewhat in touch with each other.

For those who don't know, IRC chat is, in the most basic and simplified terms, an online "chat room" which you can customise to your liking.
It would be more or less like the chat we have now but with more text based games and communication options.
(Think badge, cat, coffee collection
E.G. !cat will add a random number, between 1-20, of cats to your collection.)

"But if we still have to log in then why can't we continue to use chat here?"
That is a fair assumption to make.
We would still use the forum and chat where we currently are now but we will have the added benefit of having another place to contact each other should the forum close down.

To use IRC you need a client, a separate application in which you log in. Having this start with your computer will allow automatic login and easier communication with each other. Although I say you need a client, you could use a web interface if you wanted to.

So I ask everyone here, would you use such a method of communication?
I would personally love it if we still kept in contact in 5 years time.

Post subject: Re: How about a contingency plan?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:53 pm 
Nameless

I personally don't see any harm in that. It's always good to have backup options in my book. I've also been lamenting, and it would be nice to be able to keep in touch with everyone for a long time yet. I've just had more responsabilities to fulfill. And when life gives you lemons...

GardeningKing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:58 pm 
Nameless

Gamer_Luna wrote:
I personally don't see any harm in that. It's always good to have backup options in my book. I've also been lamenting, and it would be nice to be able to keep in touch with everyone for a long time yet. I've just had more responsabilities to fulfill. And when life gives you lemons...

Life squirts it in your eyes, no mercy.
I had one of these moments recently, mental panic ensued.

How have you been anyway?
I hope you've been well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:21 am 
Site Admin

I support this idea whole heartedly.

With many things from "early" fandom days shutting down, it'd be sad if this was lost. Worse still, our contact with one another.

That said, I'm not entirely sure how this forum handles shutting down. As in, I don't know why it'd instantly be gone unless I purposely got rid of it. I imagine they probably have some kind of garbage collection where it auto deletes itself if no one goes on for a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:23 pm 
Nameless

That is a great idea Twilightpoint! Having a back up would be good just in case.
Spoiler:
OH my gosh it's Tare, he's been gone forever

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:26 am 
Nameless

Hi Tp and everyone!

Back up plans?

yay I love Back up plans!

I'm sorry I just disappeared. But slowly I got more and more work at my job. Can't say the same about pay though, I'll probably have to look for something else soon. Will have time to chat and reconnect.

Would love to keep this place alive. But yeah having someplace else sounds like great idea. Thumbs up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:49 pm 
Nameless

Yes, yes, yeah, yes, and let's do it.

Also, YES PLZ.

/me gets to installing a client.

Also, TP, if for some reason you have problems hosting a server, I might be able to host one on my Raspberry Pi 2. I'll throw that out as a plan B, I fully support this idea but my Pi is hosting my personal cloud server and I don't want to overload the little guy. So the less things running on it (and less people connecting to it), the better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:15 pm 
Nameless

Everybody seems to be in agreement so I'll set things in motion.

Thank you toasty, I'll be sure to keep your offer in mind. But since you're using it as a personal cloud it is a bad idea to host anything outward facing unless you know your iptables, pf, crypto and system permissions.

Some technical Specifications I would like your approval / opinion on:

- Hosted on an Encrypted Raspberry Pi 2B system; Debian
- Logging and history enabled
- DDoS protection
- Flood protection
- Bots providing various games
- SSL only
- ANOPE
- domain name for ease of access.

edit: added some more technical specifications

Last edited by TwilightPoint on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:58 pm 
Nameless

Sounds good. Seems its already decided though. I'll be watching for further instructions. :)
Tare and Twilight_Crow. My my, quite a turn out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:59 pm 
Nameless

No problem, TP. :)

Yeah, now that I think about I probably shouldn't host the server. My cloud is kinda hacked together and it works for me, but I don't know enough about web hosting to make something suitable for other people.

From what I understand of the specs it sounds very secure. I'm not sure what exactly the Pi 2 is capable of because I'm afraid to push mine to the limits, but I think it's likely it could handle an IRC room with a couple people. I don't know how much load bots would bring to it, but that's something that can be tested and removed if it detriments performance. I would really like the inclusion of history, it would be nice to look back at past conversations outside of the ones that get posted to chat battles. As for domain name, we could probably grab a .TK or other such free domain name unless that's a security issue. Either way, I think it's best we have a domain name. Much easier to remember than a series of numbers.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next