It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Welcome
Welcome to projectrevolver

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nintendo + DeNA Allaince
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:10 am 
Nameless

Need to read this and think on it. Oh, and a drink, maybe several and I don't normally drink.

Post subject: Re: Nintendo + DeNA Allaince
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:03 pm 
Nameless

What the hell? As I understand it, Nintendo is licensing their IPs to another company for mobile games?! First of all, do they not remember what happened last time they licensed their IPs for usage in other games? (It was to Philips) Second of all, I hate that they gave in to the pressure of their stock holders to make games for mobile. Third.... what the hell?

At least they're getting something out of it in the form of the Club Nintendo successor, but there has to have been a better way to get that successor. Even if they had to enlist the help of another developer, they didn't have to trade IP licenses for it. I mean, it's not like Nintendo is close to bankruptcy..... right? Right?!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:03 am 
Nameless

Does this mean the population on NintendoLife will dramatically decrease now or are they just saying things without any intention of doing them again?

I think this will be interesting, what it looks like Nintendo are doing, at least to me, is that they are using mobile as an interactive advertising platform.
Introduce people to their franchises on mobile, show them it is even better on a home console and handheld.
A starter, main course and dessert if you like.

Remember, mobile is just another platform, rather than fighting it we should accept that it is here and embrace it while at the same time guide it towards a better direction. People say bad things about Nintendo just as they do about mobile.

However there is the risk of brand devaluation.

For the record I legitimately love the CDi Zelda cutscenes.
Gameplay looks horrible though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:45 am 
Nameless

It all depends on how DeNA handles the IPs. From what I understand, they aren't terrible. Even Sony contracted out to them for a time. We can't really compare them to Philips, at least not yet. At the very least, this will likely do very well with Nintendo, in that the profits they accumulate will go towards their main focus of games and hardware (like the NX).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:19 pm 
Nameless

Location: Nowhere in particular, except where I am right now...
While this is a decent idea, business wise, it doesn't quite solve the issue.
I don't know about everyone else, but I rarely hear people complaining about no Nintendo games on smartphones at school or such. Why? Because it's extremely easy to simply emulate older games on phones and such. It's not uncommon to see people playing GBA games on their phones. I feel like making a Virtual Console sort of thing for phones would be the most effective way to go about it, not to mention how much simpler it'd be. Make no mistake- Pokemon Shuffle or Elite Beat Agents (2?) would do great on phones and stuff, but I'm not sure that's what people want...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:50 pm 
Nameless

Thinking about it again, yeah, it is something that can easily be ignored. Nintendo isn't developing for mobile themselves so it won't cut off time they can spend making Wii U and 3DS games and working on that NX platform (any speculation on that? I'm hoping it's a hybrid handheld/console like earlier concepts have suggested). That, and as far as I know, DeNA isn't giving Nintendo business advice. Like others have said, this seems more like Nintendo getting some sort of advertising while shutting up the stockholders for a little bit (apparently Nintendo stock jumped up 25% after the partnership was announced....). As for the games themselves, if they're interesting I'll give them a shot. If DeNA can make a game that feels like a Nintendo experience then that would be awesome. Seems unlikely though, seeing how the phone ecosystem seems to have different ideals from Nintendo's usual.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:40 pm 
Nameless

Actually, from what it sounds like, Nintendo is indeed making the mobile games, while DeNA is making the backend. Sounds bad that Nintendo is using resources towards mobile games, but actual development for mobile isn't nearly as much as traditional console/handheld/PC development, plus Nintendo has been expanding. So, I'd imagine that resources being used are taken from the expansion. Think of it like this. Nintendo-quality titles on mobiles, while DeNA is handling what EA would have done if Nintendo incorporated Origin, but without EA, and it goes across all of Nintendo's current/future devices, as well as PC and mobile.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:01 pm 
Nameless

I didn't have any drinks, could have used them that day though. I'm thinking I'll wait and see. NX I need to hear more on and I want to see where this/how this develops a little more first. I'm lacking some details I think to truly stand for or against it despite my lack of choice in the matter.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]